Day 2 started off with a bang….or should I say a broken drill bit. Due to the cold weather I decided I wouldn’t be able to use glue to hold all the joints. If I tried to do it that way I was afraid I’d would have had a lot of failed joints because it has only been roughly 40° in my shop, colder at night. I decided to screw all the joints together using 2 1/2″ screws and hide them the best possible.
I ended the other night with one leg attached because I ran out of screws. Last night I got started by assembling the other leg. I had to cut two more of the 45° braces and then assemble all the pieces like a puzzle. While assembling though I broke my drill bit off in the wood and broke 2 screws. I flipped both sets of legs over and got those attached to the top.
After assembling the legs to the top I had to get the whole table flipped over. This was quite a chore. I had minmal amount of room to move. This table was a lot bigger than I thought as I started rolling it over. Eventually I did get the table flipped, then cut the top to correct legth.
Having it flipped up and sitting properly I started assembling the stringer with the cross braces. On the plans that I am getting this table from they have the stringer at the very bottom. I did not like how that looked and felt that having it about halfway up the leg wold look better. It also made it so the cross braces weren’t as big. .To get the cross braces I cut a 45° angle on one end of the 2×4 and then held it in it’s proper place, then drew a line I was going to cut to. This is where I leave day 2 at. I will have to plug any holes and fill any cracks tomorrow. I’m still debating on how to finish the table though so all thought and comments/suggestions are welcome. Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend
Tags: kitchen, table